J’S Smoked Trout Spread
Smoked fish dishes are popular with Ashkenazi Jews. A family member served this easy pareve(neutral, non-dairy) spread at a backyard BBQ this summer and I loved it. It’s so easy, great to serve all year round, would be great as an “noshable” (appetizer) for the upcoming Jewish holiday of Rosh Hashanah. You can add or reduce the seasonings based on your taste.
For more of the conversation, check out Jewish Mother Cooking on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JewishMotherCooking
Enjoy! The Recipe
Purim will soon be upon us in a few short weeks. It is said that Queen Esther, the heroine of the Purim story, ate vegetables and legumes to avoid eating non-Kosher food. To honor her, we enjoy eating dishes prepared with legumes and vegetables. Here is the perfect “noshable”, or appetizer, to start the festive meal. It is delicious, easy and is delicately infused with the flavor of peas . Read on for the Recipe
Easy Beef Knishes
The High Holidays (Jewish New Year) are fast approaching. Here is an easy recipe for a traditional favorite that will wow your family and friends.
3/4 lb. ground beef (90% lean)
1 Tbls. olive oil (optional)
4 Tbls. grated onion with juice
1 clove garlic, grated
½ tsp. salt (or more to taste)
½ tsp. garlic powder (or more to taste)
1 Tbls. chopped parsley
3 Tbls. prepared mashed potatoes
- Brown ground beef in oil if using; add onion with onion juice, garlic, salt, garlic powder and parsley and continue cooking until no longer pink.
- Remove from pan and place in shallow mixing bowl to cool.
- Add the mashed potato and mash together with back of a fork. Mix until completely combined. Check for seasonings.
Use to fill puff pastry as follows:
- Heat oven to 400° F. Roll out defrosted single sheet of puff pastry; divide into 3” x 3” squares. Brush the edges of each square with egg wash (egg beaten with a little water)
- Place heaping Tbls. of filling in square. Fold in half to form triangle; press edges together and seal by pressing tines of fork on edges; brush tops of knishes with egg wash.
- Place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake 10-15 15-20 minutes until golden.
Tip: Can be frozen. Defrost and reheat in 325° F oven for 5-10 minutes until hot. Serve immediately.