This is definitely the easiest cake I have ever made! It’s Gluten Free, can be made dairy or pareve, with eggs or with egg substitute, so versatile! You make it in one bowl, it’s not too sweet, and is a real crowd-pleaser. Perfect for Passover or all year round. It’s decadent, so just a small slice will suffice. It literally melts in your mouth! Serve with Cocoa Whipped Cream(recipe below), Pareve Cocoa Whipped Topping(recipe below) or vanilla ice cream.
Ingredients: (Adapted from King Arthur Flour)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
½ cup pareve margarine (I use Earth Balance) or ½ cup unsalted butter
¾ cup sugar
¼ tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 large eggs slightly beaten or ¾ cup egg substitute (I use Egg Beaters or store brand)
½ cup good quality unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease an 8-inch round cake pan with nonstick cooking spray. Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit into the bottom of the cake pan. Place parchment round in pan and spray with cooking spray.
- In large microwave-safe mixing bowl, place chocolate chips and margarine; heat in microwave until they are melted, about 1 minute; stir the chocolate mixture until smooth with a wire whisk or a large spoon. (If not quite melted, microwave an additional 10 seconds until melted.) Add sugar, salt, and vanilla; stir to combine using whisk or large spoon; add eggs and stir until smooth; add cocoa powder and stir just until combined (Do not over mix!)
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 25 mins or until the cake has a thin crust on top and inside registers 200°F (if you have a cooking thermometer, just poke once!) By 25 minutes it might start burning around the edges to take out immediately! Remove from oven when done and let rest on a wire cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- To prepare for serving: Use a sharp knife to loosen the edges and carefully flip onto a large plate. Remove parchment paper and cover top with another plate, flip onto second plate, and it’s ready to serve with Cocoa Whipped Cream (recipe below) or Pareve Cocoa Whipped Topping (recipe below)
Cocoa Whipped Cream
Ingredients: (makes about 2 cups of whipped cream)
1 cup heavy cream or whipping cream
3 Tbls. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Make sure cream is cold; combine the cream, cocoa powder and confectioners’ sugar in around everywhere!!) and beat until medium-stiff peaks are formed.
- If not serving immediately, cover bowl with plastic wrap; Store in fridge until ready to use.
Pareve Cocoa Whipped Topping
Ingredients: (makes 1 ½ cups of whipped topping)
1 ½ cups pareve sweetened whipped topping(I use TruWhip)
1 – 1 ½ Tbls. cocoa powder (to taste – I start with 1 Tbls. then add more if needed)
In a mixing bowl, with a spoon or a whisk, combine ingredients. Recipe can be doubled or tripled.
CHAG SAMEACH! ENJOY!!