I wanted to make something different this year for Chanukkah. I came up with these delicious and easy latkes that taste just like apple pie, crust and all! Serve them for dessert at your Chanukkah gathering, they are not too sweet and are healthy. Top them with dairy options (see below) or just eat them plain. Enjoy and Chag Chanukkah Sameach!
Makes 6 latkes
3 apples (I used Gala, can use any kind you like), peeled and grated
Zest from ½ medium size lemon
1 Tbls. lemon juice
1 ½ Tbls. brown sugar, melted in a few drops of water in microwave (for approximately 15 seconds), slightly cooled
¼ tsp. cinnamon
2 Tbls. Flour (add additional ½ Tbls. if mixture is liquidy)
Graham cracker crumbs, finely crushed), about ½ cup
Vegetable oil for frying
- Mix all ingredients together in large mixing bowl (except graham crackers and oil).
- Heat oil in deep frying pan over medium high heat until hot; drop mixture by heaping tablespoons into hot oil; sprinkle tops with graham cracker crumbs and flatted with a spatula.
- Cook latkes 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown; drain on paper towels. Serve warm.
- Can be doubled or tripled
- Reheat in a 325° F oven for 5-7 minutes or until warm
- Serve with dairy toppings such as sour cream, mascarpone cheese or cream cheese