Shavuot is fast approaching (June 11, 2016) and it is customary to eat dairy foods. For those of you who love cheesecake, you eat this version with a spoon. Add my Crazy Good Nut Topping (listed below) and you will be in heaven! It is a rich, easy and absolutely delicious way to end your Shavuot feast. A little serving goes a long way. Chag Sameach, Have a Happy Shavuot. Enjoy!
Ingredients: (6-8 servings)
1 8 oz. package Neufchatel cream cheese (low-fat), softened
1 8 oz. container cold whipping cream
½ cup milk
1/4 cup sugar (use 1/3 cup if you like your cheesecake flavor sweet)
1 Tbls. lemon juice
½ tsp. vanilla
Assorted fresh berries (raspberries, blackberries, blueberries) and/or mandarin oranges (from a can, drained)
Crazy Good Nut Topping (optional) – See Recipe Following Parfaits
- In small saucepan on low heat combine milk and sugar until sugar is dissolved; set aside to cool.
- In a food processor (or you can use a hand mixer in a medium size bowl), combine cream cheese, milk/sugar mixture, lemon juice and vanilla and process until smooth. Place in a medium size bowl and set aside.
- In another medium bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form; gently fold whipped cream into cream cheese mixture until combined. In decorative glasses, layer cream cheese mixture, berries, nut topping, continuing to layer to half the glass is full. End with berries and nut topping. Chill in fridge.
Crazy Good Nut Topping
4 Tbls. unsalted butter
1/4 cup brown sugar (use 1/3 cup if you like sweeter nuts)
1 ¾ cup chopped toasted nuts (pecans, almonds, walnuts or combination)
- Over medium-low heat, melt butter and brown sugar, stirring for about 5 minutes until brown sugar has melted and mixture is a golden brown color (Don’t boil or you will get candy!!)
- Mix in nuts and stir well; cool.
Tip: Great as a topping on ice cream, parfaits or other desserts.