Here is the perfect side dish for your upcoming New Years Day feast. It is so easy to make, has an amazing light flavor and looks so festive. You can also serve this any night of the week. Adding the pine nuts on top of the beans takes the dish to a whole new level. Enjoy and have a Happy New Year!!
Ingredients: Serves 3-4 people
12 oz. bag fresh green beans
½ cup water
½ jar (12 oz.) roasted red peppers, sliced into thin strips
2 Tbls. salted butter
1-2 Tbls. lemon juice
Salt to taste
Pine nuts or other chopped roasted nuts (optional)
- Steam green beans with water in a covered dish in microwave for 7-8 minutes (more or less depending how crunchy or soft you like them); drain and put back in glass dish, fill with cold water and add a cup or so of ice cubes, to stop the cooking process (maintains the beans bright green color). Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter until lightly brown, adding 1 Tbls. of lemon juice and roasted red pepper strips. Drain beans well and add to butter and red pepper mixture. Season with salt and add additional 1 Tbls. lemon juice if desired. Mix together and keep warm on low heat until ready to serve.
- Pine nuts or other roasted chopped nuts can be sprinkled on top. Delicious!
- Recipe can easily be doubled or tripled for a larger crowd.
- Goes very well with fish dishes and chicken dishes (except if you are Kosher, you will need to use pareve margarine)