The High Holidays (Jewish New Year) are fast approaching. Here is an easy recipe for a traditional favorite that will wow your family and friends.
3/4 lb. ground beef (90% lean)
1 Tbls. olive oil (optional)
4 Tbls. grated onion with juice
1 clove garlic, grated
½ tsp. salt (or more to taste)
½ tsp. garlic powder (or more to taste)
1 Tbls. chopped parsley
3 Tbls. prepared mashed potatoes
- Brown ground beef in oil if using; add onion with onion juice, garlic, salt, garlic powder and parsley and continue cooking until no longer pink.
- Remove from pan and place in shallow mixing bowl to cool.
- Add the mashed potato and mash together with back of a fork. Mix until completely combined. Check for seasonings.
Use to fill puff pastry as follows:
- Heat oven to 400° F. Roll out defrosted single sheet of puff pastry; divide into 3” x 3” squares. Brush the edges of each square with egg wash (egg beaten with a little water)
- Place heaping Tbls. of filling in square. Fold in half to form triangle; press edges together and seal by pressing tines of fork on edges; brush tops of knishes with egg wash.
- Place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake 10-15 15-20 minutes until golden.
Tip: Can be frozen. Defrost and reheat in 325° F oven for 5-10 minutes until hot. Serve immediately.