This is so easy. You can make it in just a few minutes!
Makes 10-12 latkes (Reduce the ingredients by half if you only need 5-6 latkes)
4-5 medium potatoes, cut into large chunks
1 large onion, grated with its juice
2 tsp. salt
½ cup matzo meal (or few more tbls. if needed)
½ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. onion powder
Canola oil and/or olive oil
- In food processor or by hand, finely process potatoes. (If you like a more shredded texture, use the shredding blade of the processor) Drain in a strainer for a few minutes, discarding the starch.
- Grate onion in a bowl, keeping the juice. Add drained potatoes and all other ingredients except oil. Mix well. (If mixture a little too wet, add a few more tbls. matzo meal)
- Heat ½ cup of oil (canola or olive or a mixture of both) on medium high heat.
- When oil is hot, measure a large spoonful of potato mixture and place in oil. Flatten slightly with back of spoon. Don’t overcrowd the pan; five or six latkes will fit at a time.
- Fry until golden, flip and continue on second side until brown. Drain on paper towels. Keep warm in 350 degree oven or toaster oven until ready to eat. Enjoy!
Latkes make the perfect bed for dips and spreads.
Suggested toppings: Nicky’s Pepper Spread, Israeli Avocado Dip, Mediterranean Carrot Dip, humus,lox with chive cream cheese spread, or any of your favorite toppings.