2 eggs or ½ cup egg substitute
2 egg whites, beaten until peaks form
¾ cup sugar
2 tsps. baking soda
¾ cup brewed decaffeinated coffee
1 cup honey
1 10 oz. jar apricot fruit spread
¾ vegetable oil
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. allspice
½ tsp. salt
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Juice and grated zest of 1 orange
1 apple, peeled and shredded
3 cups flour
*Topping Ingredients: (*If keeping Kosher and serving with a meat meal, omit topping as it contains butter)
4 Tbls.(1/2 stick or 1/4 cup) unsalted butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
2-3 Tbls. orange zest
1/2 cup toasted chopped almonds or pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 ° F; in large mixing bowl beat eggs and sugar until frothy.
- Dissolve baking soda in warm coffee; add honey, fruit spread, oil, spices, salt, nuts (opt.), and coffee mixture to egg mixture. Mix well, add apple, orange zest, juice then stir in flour. Mix well.
- In small bowl beat egg whites until peaks form. Gently fold in egg whites into cake mixture.
- Bake in oiled muffin pans for 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. If using an 8×8 square pan bake 35 minutes. Entire mixture will make 18 cupcakes and one 8×8 square cake.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan; add honey, brown sugar, orange zest and nuts, stirring on low heat for 1 minute until combined.
- Spread evenly over the cake or a small amount on each cupcake; broil for 1-2 minutes until topping has seeped into cake. Cool before serving.